Two Opportunities that Detroit REPRESENT has for Local LGBTQ Youth of Color
Two upcoming opportunities that Detroit REPRESENT! has for local LGBTQ youth of color.
First, we are looking to pay youth to create media-based campaigns. What this involves is spending about 30 hours over about 1 month to think up, create, and distribute a media project designed to address problems facing members of our community. Some examples of projects people have come up with in the past are below:
- Creating an infographic that helps youth in our community recognize abuse and find support, and then distributing copies at clubs
- Creating videos that feature DPS students’ experiences with harassment in school, and screening them to current DPS students, along with leading a dialogue
- Putting on a guerrilla theater performance to encourage Arab queer visibility, and making recordings available online for youth who can’t come out
Folks who lead campaigns earn $399 over a period of about 1 month, and we’re looking for 1 (possibly up to 2) more people to work on a project starting in January.
Research and Travel to New York
Second, we are looking for 1 – 2 youth researchers who can help us study the needs and experiences of LGBTQ youth in Detroit over a one-year period, as part of a national project called What’s Your Issue? Participants in this project won’t be paid, but will receive three all-expense-paid trips to New York City, and will get to meet and work with youth and adult activists from across the country. The time commitment per month will be much less, but keep in mind this is a year-long project.
To be eligible, youth need to…
- Identify as trans, LGBT, queer, or otherwise not straight / not cisgender
- Identify as Black / indigenous / a person of color
- (For campaigns) Be able to commit around 5 – 10 hours per week, for about 1 month.
- (For research) Be available to commit at least 10 hours per month, for 1 year — and be able to make the three trips to NYC (all costs covered)
- Have an interest in racial justice and LGBTQ youth liberation
- Have an interest in making and/or learning to make some kind of media. (Ex: videos, interviews, drawings, photography, performance art, writing, etc.)
- Be between the ages of 14 and 24 (if someone younger is really interested, we may be able to work something out)
- Live, go to school, be from, or regularly spend time in Detroit, and have the ability to get to Detroit regularly
If you or someone you know may be interested, just reply to this email, or call / text me at 313 731 2453.
Happy New Year!